So, this is a follow up on Three Strikes….Four Strikes. I was asked out by this 21 year old and was unsure if I should just be upfront or go with it. Upon further discussion with a co-worker a conclusion was drawn that I should go for scientific research purposes. So, I did.
I will tell you this….When he called to talk to me that night he called from his parents house. Good god. I have no intention of saying, “Hello Mrs. So and So is your son So and So there?” He did ask me to go to the movies again. I felt it necessary to explain to him that a movie is not a good first date choice. A. I am not 18 and am legal to do adult-like activities as well as stay out past midnight (oooo), B. There is only two things you can learn from someone on a first date at the movies 1. If they prefer milk duds or sour patch kids and 2. How many times they have to go to the bathroom in this given time period.
So, after that discussion this is where he asked me to go to dinner. OLIVE GARDEN. Ok, I have no problem with the Olive Garden and I realize that I am getting a little snobby here but let’s think about how many good restaurants we have here in St. Louis. If I wanted to go to the Olive Garden for a first date I would live in a city that only has chain restaurants. So, upon him coming to pick me up (he didn’t even get out of the car) I said, “Do you really want to go to the Olive Garden? There are plenty of good places that are not chains around here. What kind of food do you like?” Him, “Italian and Mexican are my favorite.” Me, “Perfect! El Scorcho is down the road and it is good Tex Mex.” Needless to say I made a good choice according to him.
The conversation was ok. I can tell you this, while age may not make a difference it does when you are 25 and 21. If I were 30 and he were 26 this might be different. There is a huge maturity level difference as well as items to talk about. I have been to college, have a degree and work in a corporate office. He has not been to college, still lives with his parents and works in the automotive industry which is good for him because he LOVES cars. Don’t get me wrong, so do I but I do have knowledge about other topics and enjoy being educated on different topics. I will tell you that this guy is sweet and nice but we are looking for totally different things. There are two specific items I don’t find appropriate to discuss on a first date (unless your name is Dr. Kevin Austin because it worked out to be a positive thing for him and I do enjoy the stories today told by his wife regarding their first date(interview)). Marriage and children. Once this topic was breeched I figured out what I needed to do. I have decided that it is better for me to get this guy not to like me rather than me having to let him down gently. So, after marriage was brought up more than once I simply stated while walking to the car that I never plan on getting married or having children. I plan on adopting and hopefully living with a ‘domestic partner’ (HA yes, I used those words). This did not set well as he told me he didn’t think he could love a child like he would his own if the child were adopted. Only if he and his respective wife were unable to have children would that be an option. Now, to each their own and he is young so he may change his mind.
He did ask me to go out with him again and I did agree. However, I am going to have that dreaded conversation of ‘we are looking for different things.’ When he called to ask me to dinner he made a point of saying that he likes ‘older women.’ Shit, have I now entered the older woman realm? Seriously?
I will tell you this….When he called to talk to me that night he called from his parents house. Good god. I have no intention of saying, “Hello Mrs. So and So is your son So and So there?” He did ask me to go to the movies again. I felt it necessary to explain to him that a movie is not a good first date choice. A. I am not 18 and am legal to do adult-like activities as well as stay out past midnight (oooo), B. There is only two things you can learn from someone on a first date at the movies 1. If they prefer milk duds or sour patch kids and 2. How many times they have to go to the bathroom in this given time period.
So, after that discussion this is where he asked me to go to dinner. OLIVE GARDEN. Ok, I have no problem with the Olive Garden and I realize that I am getting a little snobby here but let’s think about how many good restaurants we have here in St. Louis. If I wanted to go to the Olive Garden for a first date I would live in a city that only has chain restaurants. So, upon him coming to pick me up (he didn’t even get out of the car) I said, “Do you really want to go to the Olive Garden? There are plenty of good places that are not chains around here. What kind of food do you like?” Him, “Italian and Mexican are my favorite.” Me, “Perfect! El Scorcho is down the road and it is good Tex Mex.” Needless to say I made a good choice according to him.
The conversation was ok. I can tell you this, while age may not make a difference it does when you are 25 and 21. If I were 30 and he were 26 this might be different. There is a huge maturity level difference as well as items to talk about. I have been to college, have a degree and work in a corporate office. He has not been to college, still lives with his parents and works in the automotive industry which is good for him because he LOVES cars. Don’t get me wrong, so do I but I do have knowledge about other topics and enjoy being educated on different topics. I will tell you that this guy is sweet and nice but we are looking for totally different things. There are two specific items I don’t find appropriate to discuss on a first date (unless your name is Dr. Kevin Austin because it worked out to be a positive thing for him and I do enjoy the stories today told by his wife regarding their first date(interview)). Marriage and children. Once this topic was breeched I figured out what I needed to do. I have decided that it is better for me to get this guy not to like me rather than me having to let him down gently. So, after marriage was brought up more than once I simply stated while walking to the car that I never plan on getting married or having children. I plan on adopting and hopefully living with a ‘domestic partner’ (HA yes, I used those words). This did not set well as he told me he didn’t think he could love a child like he would his own if the child were adopted. Only if he and his respective wife were unable to have children would that be an option. Now, to each their own and he is young so he may change his mind.
He did ask me to go out with him again and I did agree. However, I am going to have that dreaded conversation of ‘we are looking for different things.’ When he called to ask me to dinner he made a point of saying that he likes ‘older women.’ Shit, have I now entered the older woman realm? Seriously?
I will keep you update on the happenings with my 21 year old boyfriend.
Oh my love!!! You kill me. I can't wait to see what this world has in store for you. The first 25 years haven't been that bad...have they? I am still your #1 fan and I adore you...somethings never change. Keep posting. Love you!
ReplyDeleteOlive Garden. Please get snobby. This is no place for a date. This is a place for 5 year olds and dinner with the grandparents. There is no excuse to be in the middle of St. Louis and go to Olive Garden for a date. This man is dead to me.
ReplyDeleteLove it...I also love the shout out about Kevin too. You were right in Kevin's case it did work out but to be honest it was the most awkward date I was ever on. In fact, when I got home I thought....hmmm do I give him another chance or call it quits. Luckily I gave him another shot and it worked out quite nicely. You never know but I totally agree there is a HUGE difference between 21 and 25 and Olive Garden is not acceptable.
ReplyDelete