Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Naughti Valentines Day

Something else I didn’t mention in my post about the last 5 weeks, now pushing 6, was my Valentine’s Day. I am not a fan of the day because it is so Hallmark. My theory is that flowers should be sent randomly same with confessions of love, weddings, etc. To me, Valentines Day is too hyped up. However, I can say this….It put a huge smile on my face when I found out my Mom and Dad sent me a small Spring bouquet of flowers. I will always always always accept flowers and any act of love or kindness from the people that made me and brought me into, and I am sure have wanted to take me out of, this world.

So, for this to be any other day to me I think I have found the best solution ever for my Valentines fun. This year I went to an erotic art show called Naughti-Gras. http://www.stlnaughtigras.com/ What a spectacle of awesome! This show brought people out of the woodwork, in my opinion. * Side note: Let me remind you that I come from Springfield….super conservative and super religious. If something erotic happens in Springfield, rest assured that there is some fanatic standing outside protesting. You get the best of both extremes. Art is art people so get over it.* Anyway, moving on.

Now, I will say that there were very few exhibitionists there when I was there, which was late I might add. *Side note: As I get older I do not like monstrous crowds as much especially when I am trying to view art. I do not want to be rushed or feel herded.* One of the first people I did see was a woman dressed completely in lace…I know, I should have brought my camera. What amazes me about this woman is her ability to just let it out and put herself out there like that. I mean she was normal. She was not a skinny anorexic freak of nature that you would see page after page in some Vogue. I definitely applaud this woman for being comfortable in her own skin. There were three, actually four galleries one being solely for live music. The second gallery, which was raised, had full body painting going on in the center of the room. I was more interested in the photography and painting.

In terms of the photography and painting there was a wide variety and I shall put them in my own terms. Classy, shocking, disturbing and scarred for life. There were quite a few photos and paintings in what I deem the classy range that I would have loved to have taken home with me. There were two in particular. One of which I got the artists business card because I loved it so much. There was a triptych photo that I fell in love with that I currently choose not to afford. There was a second set of photos that I really loved but am confident that my girl Jamie can re-create for me. There was a quote that I also saw that would be amazing for a tattoo. Since my family reads this and my mom loves my tattoos so much I will keep the quote to myself. Though it is tasteful in my opinion and when it comes to my body my opinion should be the end all be all.

At the end of the night, which is the part I was most excited about, two women were going to perform their burlesque show. Now, I have always been fascinated by burlesque shows because, again, I applaud women for putting themselves out there and not caring if the world around them is judging what they look like. I think that is awesome. I have become a little too uncomfortable with my body for that in the last few years. My friend Teresa is the person that told me about these women who call themselves ‘Gravity Plays Favorites.’ And yes it does. These women have a pole in which they do all sorts of acrobatic moves on….together. They use each others bodies as anchors and tools to perform these tricks. I mean, it is amazing. They are wearing what amounts to a bathing suit…tasteful I might add, and they are hanging upside down with a leg holding them while holding someone else among other things. I mean my jaw was on the floor. When Teresa told me about these two women her only statement was, “They make me proud to be a woman.” I completely agree! Their strength floored me. I am definitely going to see them again the next time they are in town which is March 20th in case any of you out there want to go.

I do have photos but I took them with my phone. My digital camera hates me and I am in the market for a new one. I will try to upload them soon. Just be happy with the post.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Gosh I have got to see this. Don't worry one bit about the fish. I was going to call you on Saturday to see if we could wait on it because of all the other kids. Great minds think alike. I doubt we will get another fish for Z any time soon so if you want to do that in May that is great. No biggie. Everytime he walks into his room he says, "Hi Meis" and waves to the area where the aquarium used to sit. I tell him Meis is gone and he says Oh I forgot. I miss her. He's a funny little guy. Well I wish we could have visited more at your party. We miss you !

    ReplyDelete